13.10.11

Breakfast at Ladurée

It's hard to believe, I know, but I had my very first macaroon this weekend. Yes, yes, the girl that was nicknamed "Frenchie" in her senior yearbook, who's been in Bordeaux for two months now, had never had the privilege of eating the famously-French dessert until this past weekend in Paris. So, when in Rome Paris... do as, [I'm sure a very small percentage of] the Parisians [actually] do: Spend the afternoon enjoying a simple, fresh, delicious, fairly over-priced (but no one's complaining!) breakfast at Ladurée.

On the Champs-Élysées, the aesthetically flawless pastry shop/tea room/restaurant/bar is always packed, with good reason, and the shop is filled with equally beautiful delicacies and treats! The best visual reference I can provide you with is Sofia Coppola's film starring Kirsten Dunst, Marie Antoinette, for which Ladurée provided all of the pastries for.

The breakfast included an assortment of gourmandises, bread, jam, butter, orange juice and very good coffee. We finished the visit off with our macarons, to go, which we enjoyed by the Seine river. Must I say it? They were AMAZING. I'd chosen my four, of which my favorite was caramel and salted butter. But each one left me with eyes closed, feeling so lucky to be able to splurge on such delicacies. The shells of the cookies were perfectly firm and the cookies were perfectly soft within, with divine ganache in between. Unfortunately, I have no photographs of the macaroons themselves. It was one of those days when you sit down by the Seine, the Eiffel Tower in sight, and you enjoy the moment without remembering to document it. I guess I'll just have to go back and take pictures, soon!

1 comment:

  1. The pictures are divine! Amazing job, girl.

    ReplyDelete